Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
We served these with Tartar Sauce and they were awesome, if I must say so myself. There are two Tartar Sauce recipes on zaar that look like the one we made. PanNan's #47077, or Kitten's #116984 have similar ingredients.
- 1⁄2-1 cup vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk baking mix
- 1⁄2 cup dark beer, more if necessary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup tartar sauce
- toasted coconut, to garnish
- Heat 1-1/2 inches oil in a heavy deep skillet over medium-high heat to 350ºF.
- Lightly coat shrimp with 1/4 cup baking mix and crushed red pepper.
- Combine 1 cup baking mix and remaining ingredients, except tartar sauce, in a bowl.
- Beat with a hand beater until batter is smooth and thin. (If batter is too thick, stir in additional beer, 1 tablespoon at a time, until of desired consistency.).
- Dip shrimp into batter, letting excess drip into bowl.
- Place shrimp in hot oil and fry about 2 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with coconut and serve hot with tartar sauce.