Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Beer Batter-Fried Sardines and Lime
- 1⁄2 cup beer (not dark)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (3 3/4 ounce) cans sardines
- 1 lime
- * In a bowl whisk beer and salt into flour until smooth. Drain sardines and pat dry. Cut lime into 8 wedges.
- * In a 3 quart saucepan heat oil over moderately high heat until a deep-fat thermometer registers 375°F Working in batches of about 8 and holding sardines at head end to avoid breaking, dredge fish in batter to coat completely, dragging lightly against side of bowl to remove excess, and fry, stirring, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. With a slotted spoon transfer sardines as fried to paper towels to drain.
- * Fry lime wedges in oil until they begin to turn golden, about 30 seconds, and transfer to paper towels to drain. Serve sardines with lime.
- * Yield: 2 servings.