Recipe by Chief Jack
This goes GREAT with grilled cat fish and any leftovers make a fine cold midnight snack! If you're not familiar with okra, the larger pods can get really tough and stringy, so think SMALL!!
Top Review by ~Nimz~
Jack, I don't give many 5s but this was absolutely wonderful. We just picked our first batch of okra and I decided to give DH a treat with "fried" okra. He said it was like eating candy. Thanks for submitting your recipe.
- 1 lb okra
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 can beer
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot sauce
- salt and pepper
- oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the corn meal, 1/2 Cup of the flour, the hot sauce, the salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Slowly mix enough beer into the bowl to make a batter a little thinner than pancake batter.
- Feel free to drink any leftover!
- Put the remaining flour into a plastic bag and set aside.
- Rinse the okra and dry it well.
- Slice the caps off and discard.
- Cut the pods into 1/2 inch rounds.
- Add the okra to the bag of flour and shake to coat well.
- Remove toe okra from the flour and shake off any excess.
- Heat the frying oil.
- Add the okra to the batter in small batches and coat well.
- Remove the okra, drain slightly and fry until golden.
- Drain and enjoy!