Prep 25 mins
Cook 6 mins
From The Great Tomato Cookbook.
- 2 large green tomatoes, thinly sliced (about 16 slices)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup beer
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Arrange tomatoes on piece of wax paper; salt and pepper both sides, using 1 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and remaining 1 teaspoon salt in medium-size bowl. Remove 1/2 cup of the mixture to a piece of wax paper.
- Dip both sides of tomatoes in the 1/2 cup of flour mixture. Stir beer and lemon juice into remaining flour mixture. (Mixture will foam.) Stir until the consistency of pancake batter.
- Heat oil in large skillet. Dip tomatoes into batter and saute half at a time in hot oil until golden, about 3 minutes on each side. Keep warm in oven while sauteeing remaining tomatoes. Serve immediately.
- Makes 16 slices.