Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
The finest CRISPY batter recipe. Always used by myself and never fails to impress. For the crispiest batter you must steer well clear of eggs! This is great for fish, chicken, mushrooms onions etc. Good Baatter consistency: Dip your finger into batter. It should not run off the finger but drip off after around 5secs.
- Sift Flour and Baking Powder into a bowl.
- Pour Liquid, (Lager is best but Water can also be used) into a bowl.
- Sift Flour and Baking powder mix over the liquid a little at a time whisking inbetween until all is mixed with no lumps.
- At this stage, check consistency to your requirements. Add a little more flour for thicker batter, a little more liquid for a thinner batter. No more Baking powder is needed.
- Use immediately, no need to rest.
I never add egg to the tempura batter, and I double the baking powder. Makes batter light and crispy, and ALWAYS fry in peanut oil, which has a high smoking point, and is actually very healthy for your heart and circulation (look it up). It can sometimes be reused with a filtering through paper towels. Vegetable and canola oil are bad because of the process they use to retrieve the oil from seeds.
Easy to make and oh so good.
the boyfriend used this recipe on mushrooms and steak tips. mmmmm!!! Thick,crispy, and not gooey and ALSO IS STILL GOOD leftover!! had em in the fridge for a few days and were almost as good as when we made them, and i have NEVER said that about anything battered! Thanks for our new go-to batter recipe!! OUTSTANDING!!!