I found this recipe in A Collection of the Very Finest Recipes Ever Assembled into One Cookbook. This recipe makes the best beer batter fish that I have EVER had! I use the darkest beer I can buy. I tried a pale colored beer once, and I didn't like it as well. You will no doubt enjoy this excellent batter!
- Dissolve 1 package dry yeast in 1/2 cup warm beer.
- Add 1 cup flour, and a pinch of salt. Stir.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup beer and more as needed for "sticky run" dough.
- Cover with a dish towel and let it stand in a warm place for a 1/2 hour or more.
- Fold in egg white and use immediately.
- Dry fish fillets with a paper towel before dipping in batter.
- Fry in hot vegetable, peanut, or corn oil.