Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I found this recipe in A Collection of the Very Finest Recipes Ever Assembled into One Cookbook. This recipe makes the best beer batter fish that I have EVER had! I use the darkest beer I can buy. I tried a pale colored beer once, and I didn't like it as well. You will no doubt enjoy this excellent batter!
- Dissolve 1 package dry yeast in 1/2 cup warm beer.
- Add 1 cup flour, and a pinch of salt. Stir.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup beer and more as needed for "sticky run" dough.
- Cover with a dish towel and let it stand in a warm place for a 1/2 hour or more.
- Fold in egg white and use immediately.
- Dry fish fillets with a paper towel before dipping in batter.
- Fry in hot vegetable, peanut, or corn oil.
Prepared as directed. Loved by all!
This makes a very light, crisp batter that is good for fried fish and vegetables as well. Be sure the fish is well seasoned as the batter is not. Vegetables can be seasoned when they come out of the fryer with salt and pepper.