Recipe by Laudee
This excellent batter recipe comes from our Denver Fire Dept.'s "Favorites" cookbook. Been using it for years, and it's a "fail-safe", yummie recipe.
Top Review by beckas
Good batter recipe. I used slightly more than a cup of beer. I found that the finished product was better when the batter was on the thinner side. I tried the batter on fish and for onion rings. It was a great on onion rings. DS proclaimed "these are SOOOOO GOOD!" when he ate the onion rings.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients, except beer, in medium size bowl.
- Gradually add enough beer, starting with about a 1/2 a cup, to make batter consistency of thickened pancake batter.
- Mix til smooth.
- Dip fish (fillets, shrimp, etc.), veggies (zucchini, mushrooms, etc.) in batter, gently place into moderately hot oil (use either an electric skillet or Fry Daddy) approximately, 375 degrees, fry until puffy and golden brown, about 3 minutes, each side.
- Remove and drain on paper towel.