Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
One of the best batter recipes going! The secret ingredient: Beer!
Make and share this Beer Batter for Fish recipe from Food.com.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Make a well in center; pour in water, beer and egg, whisking to make a smooth batter.
- Let stand 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in large saucepan to 350.
- Dip fish fillets in batter, adding to hot oil one at a time.
- Cook about 5 minutes, turning once or twice, until golden and crisp.
- Remove to paper towel-lined plate.
- Repeat with remaining fish.
The batter stuck to the frying basket during cooking and so the fish fell apart as I tried to remove it. I followed the recipe to a "T". Thumbs down on this one - sorry.
I used this on some Trevally fillets and it was golden and wonderfully crisp and light. I cooked in an electric frypan filled with enough oil to half cover the fillets and had enough room for four. I turned them at the half way mark, removed with a spatula and dried on paper towel as you suggested. Beer batter is really light so you need to do it this way or another way I like is to drop in a wok and remove with a Chinese scoop, beer batter doesn't play well with baskets.
If you hold the fish in the oil by one end for a few seconds before you let it go, it starts to puff up and helps prevent sticking, which is usually worse with a basket.