Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I developed this recipe in 1982 and published it in my cookbook in 1996. It has been a favorite with many who have tried it.
- extra virgin olive oil or canola oil or safflower oil, for deep frying (I use extra virgin, but Canola or Saflower oil is also okay to use)
- 1 tablespoon onion soup mix
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard or 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 cup beer (of your choice)
- 8 ounces broccoli florets
- 8 ounces cauliflower florets
- 8 ounces small button mushrooms
- 8 ounces zucchini, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds (Do Not Peel)
- In a deep fryer, add oil as per directions for your deep fryer and heat to 375°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, add onion soup mix, flour, baking powder, eggs and mustard and whisk until smooth and well blended.
- Add beer and mix with a spoon to blend.
- Let batter rest for about 10 minutes before using.
- Prepare vegetables, rinse and pat dry with paper towels.
- Dip veggies into batter, drop into hot oil in batches and deep fry until golden brown, turning at least once.
- When done, remove and place on paper towelling to absorb excess oil.
- Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce or Uncle Bill's Garden Dip.
I thought this was a good recipe. I spiced it up a little with cajun seasoning and paprika. But other then that it was good. I doubled the recipe and used it for shrimp and veggies. I used a deep fryer and thought it was great Thanks for a great recipe.