Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
I have been searching a long time for fish cakes I had as a kid--this is a good one.
- 1 cup cooked cod, flaked
- 1 large russet potato
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 10 ounces beer batter frying mix, you can use Kittencal's Beer Battered Fish instead
- 1 1⁄4 cups chilled beer or 1 1⁄4 cups chilled water
- Cut potato in the middle, in 1/4 inch slices, saving the 4 biggest slices, soak in cold water.
- Add fish, onions, lemon juice, egg, Old Bay, salt, and pepper, to a mixing bowl; stir well.
- Shape mixture into patties.
- Mix beer or water with beer batter mix or use recipe #69213.
- Combine patty with a slice of potato.
- Carefully dredge in flour and then in beer batter.
- With a slotted metal spoon, slowly put in deep fryer of 2 cups vegetable oil.
- Cook for about 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
Very good! These were a bit of effort, but they were more than worth it! Like Ed said, if you can keep 'em together until you get 'em in the oil, you've got it made! I had a little extra of the fish left, and had just used my last potatoe ,so I cored out a few fresh jalapenos,stuffed them with the fish,ran them through the batter and fried them up.They were great too. The fish was just too good not to do something with the rest!