Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I have been searching a long time for fish cakes I had as a kid--this is a good one.
Make and share this Beer Batter Fish Cakes recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup cooked cod, flaked
- 1 large russet potato
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 10 ounces beer batter frying mix, you can use Kittencal's Beer Battered Fish instead
- 1 1⁄4 cups chilled beer or 1 1⁄4 cups chilled water
- Cut potato in the middle, in 1/4 inch slices, saving the 4 biggest slices, soak in cold water.
- Add fish, onions, lemon juice, egg, Old Bay, salt, and pepper, to a mixing bowl; stir well.
- Shape mixture into patties.
- Mix beer or water with beer batter mix or use recipe #69213.
- Combine patty with a slice of potato.
- Carefully dredge in flour and then in beer batter.
- With a slotted metal spoon, slowly put in deep fryer of 2 cups vegetable oil.
- Cook for about 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.