I have been searching a long time for fish cakes I had as a kid--this is a good one.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup cooked cod, flaked
- 1 large russet potato
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 10 ounces beer batter frying mix, you can use Kittencal's Beer Battered Fish instead
- 1 1/4 cups chilled beer or 1 1/4 cups chilled water
- 1Cut potato in the middle, in 1/4 inch slices, saving the 4 biggest slices, soak in cold water.
- 2Add fish, onions, lemon juice, egg, Old Bay, salt, and pepper, to a mixing bowl; stir well.
- 3Shape mixture into patties.
- 4Mix beer or water with beer batter mix or use Kittencal's Beer Battered Fish.
- 5Combine patty with a slice of potato.
- 6Carefully dredge in flour and then in beer batter.
- 7With a slotted metal spoon, slowly put in deep fryer of 2 cups vegetable oil.
- 8Cook for about 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- 9Drain on paper towels.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beer Batter Fish Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (372 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1193.4
- Calories from Fat 997
- Total Fat 110.8 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 77.2 mg
- Sodium 348.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 15.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Old Bay Seasoning
batter frying mix