Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Adapted from PILCookbooks.com. Cooking with Beer.
- 1 1⁄4 cups beer
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cream of wheat (uncooked)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground paprika
- 2 cups unsweetened dried shredded coconut, divided
- 1 lb uncooked shrimp, cleaned, peeled and deveined
- peanut oil (for frying)
- Chinese duck sauce or other dipping sauce
- Preheat oil in deep fryer or heavy sauce pan to 360°F.
- Combine beer,flour, Cream of Wheat, salt and paprika in a medium bowl, Stir in 1 cup coconut; mix well and let stand 5 minutes.
- Place remaining coconut in a shallow bowl.
- Place shrimp in batter and stir to coat. Remove shrimp individually and dip into coconut, covering evenly. Fry shrimp in batches 4 minutes or until golden brown. Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
What a great recipe! Crunchy, sweet from the coconut, just a hint of salty, wonderful!
Thank you PapaD, for always having shared your time & wonderful recipes.
Delicious! I butteryfly my shrimp when I fry it, and did so with this. I'm afraid mine turned out a bit dark....my oil was too hot, even though I didn't even heat it on high, just medium. The taste is spectacular. Thanks for sharing!