Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
America's Test Kitchen
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces gruyere cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups beer
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cool (plus extra for brushing)
- Adjust oven rack to the middle of oven; preheat to 375°.
- Grease an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pan.
- Stir the flour, cheese, sugar, baking powder, salt, and pepper together in a large bowl.
- Stir in the beer and melted butter until just combined (do not overmix).
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan; smooth the top, and brush lightly with extra melted butter (about 1 tablespoon).
- Bake until golden brown and a pick inserted into the center comes out clean with just a few crumbs attached, 40-45 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking.
- Let the loaf cool in the pan for 10 minutes then turn out on a wire rack; cool for 1 hour before serving.