Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a quick and easy bread that you can make ahead and freeze - goes great with a hot chili dish!!
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 12 ounces beer (or substitute Non-Alcoholic Beer)
- Pre-heat oven to 350-F degrees and thoroughly grease the inside (bottom and all four sides) of a single loaf pan. Reserve.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift flour and sugar together. Add grated cheddar cheese and chopped green onions. Thoroughly mix all ingredients together. Add beer and stir until the ingredients are uniformly moistened.
- Spoon bread dough mixture into a well-greased loaf pan. Bake for approximately 1 hour, or until the loaf is golden brown and emits a hollow sound when tapped. Cool on a wire rack, and store in an airtight container.
- May freeze for up to 90 days. Slice to serve.
- Tip: Prepare your own self-rising flour! For every cup of all-purpose flour, add 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Simply sift together the ingredients and store at room temperature in an air-tight container.
So Good! This bread has the perfect texture. I didn't have green onion, so I browned a cooking onion, which I loved. It tasted like carmelized onion! Thanks for posting.
Very, very yummy! Moist and pleasantly dense. I added a bit more variety of spices and cheese and I also threw in a few heaping tablespoons of cooked breakfast sausage pieces. It was made for an early morning meeting at work and was a HUGE hit. Would recommend to anyone!
Mmmhmm. This is So good. Fixed exactly as written, used Budweiser. Served with spicy black bean soup. Perfect pairing! Thank you.