Prep 1 hr
Cook 4 hrs
Weber’s Big Book of Grilling
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 lbs beef brisket
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 cups Guinness stout, extra-stout
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 6 hamburger buns
- Make the rub: in a bowl, combine all the rub ingredients.
- Press the rub into the brisket; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 2-4 hours.
- Let brisket stand at room temperature for 20-30 minutes before grilling.
- Generously brush or spray the brisket with olive oil.
- Sear over direct high heat until well browned, about 6 minutes, turning once halfway through searing time.
- Transfer to a 13x9 inch heavy aluminum pan.
- Make the sauce: in a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter with the olive oil.
- Add in the onion, garlic, and caraway seeds; cook/stir for 5-6 minutes.
- Add in the ketchup and broth; whisk and bring to a simmer.
- add in the Extra Stout and balsamic vinegar; return to a simmer, then pour liquid over the brisket so it comes ½ to 2/3 of the way up the sides; don’t overfill the pan.
- Cover with foil and grill over indirect low heat until fork tender, 3-4 hours, turning twice during grilling time.
- Remove the brisket from the grill; cut across the grain into thin, diagonal slices.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- Serve meat warm on a bun with the sauce.