1/2 Photos of Beer-Bathed Brats With Sauerkraut and Apples
This brat recipes screams Oktoberfest to me. It is best done on the grill as the sauerkraut needs to cook indirectly, but I have done it on the campfire, by arranging the coals. Serve with a good German beer!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a heavy-duty foil pan, arrange the bratwurst in a single layer.
- 2Trim the ends from the onion.
- 3Cut the onion in half lengthwise, then cut each half lengthwise into 1/8-inch slices. Core and quarter the apple, and cut lengthwise into 1/8-inch slices.
- 4Scatter the onions, apples and sauerkraut over the bratwurst.
- 5In a medium bowl, mix the beer, mustard, and the caraway seeds, if using.
- 6Add the beer mixture to the pan.
- 7Grill over Direct Medium heat for about 20 minutes, turning the bratwurst 2 or 3 times.
- 8Remove the bratwurst from the pan but leave the pan where it is to continue to cook the sauerkraut mixture.
- 9Grill the bratwurst over Direct Medium heat until nicely browned, 2 to 3 minutes, turning once.
- 10Serve the bratwurst in hot dog buns with the sauerkraut mixture.
- 11Serve more mustard on top, if desired.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beer-Bathed Brats With Sauerkraut and Apples
Serving Size: 1 (269 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 458.3
- Calories from Fat 243
- Total Fat 27.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 62.9 mg
- Sodium 1263.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 16.8 g