This brat recipes screams Oktoberfest to me. It is best done on the grill as the sauerkraut needs to cook indirectly, but I have done it on the campfire, by arranging the coals. Serve with a good German beer!
- In a heavy-duty foil pan, arrange the bratwurst in a single layer.
- Trim the ends from the onion.
- Cut the onion in half lengthwise, then cut each half lengthwise into 1/8-inch slices. Core and quarter the apple, and cut lengthwise into 1/8-inch slices.
- Scatter the onions, apples and sauerkraut over the bratwurst.
- In a medium bowl, mix the beer, mustard, and the caraway seeds, if using.
- Add the beer mixture to the pan.
- Grill over Direct Medium heat for about 20 minutes, turning the bratwurst 2 or 3 times.
- Remove the bratwurst from the pan but leave the pan where it is to continue to cook the sauerkraut mixture.
- Grill the bratwurst over Direct Medium heat until nicely browned, 2 to 3 minutes, turning once.
- Serve the bratwurst in hot dog buns with the sauerkraut mixture.
- Serve more mustard on top, if desired.