1/2 Photos of Beer Barrel Caraway Rye Bread
2 hrs 30 mins
Like many of my favourite recipes, this came from Bon Appetit magazine. It appeared in the October 1983 edition as part of an article by Rita Sorci. It makes a lovely sandwich with dry salami and mayo and even makes really good toast. I adapted it to make a 2 pound loaf using dough cycle in the breadmaker. The amounts of yeast and salt seem high but they work out very well.
My Private Note
large l ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer (any kind, wheat beer or bock is good)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 1/4 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1Bring beer to a boil in a saucepan and simmer 3-5 minutes. Do not let it boil over.
- 2Measure beer into a measuring cup and add water as needed to make 1 1/2 cups. Let cool if necessary until the right temperature for your machine.
- 3Place all ingredients except for the egg, water and 1/4 tsp salt in your breadmaker in the order recommended by the manufacturer.
- 4Using "dough" cycle, start breadmaker and allow to complete its mixing, kneading and rising.
- 5Transfer dough to a clean oiled counter top and knead lightly.
- 6Grease a large baking sheet. Form dough into a long narrow loaf and transfer to baking sheet. Combine glaze ingredients (if you are using them) and brush over the loaf. Cover loosely with greased waxed paper, place in a warm area and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.
- 7Bake at 375º about 30-32 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
- 8Cool on a rack before slicing.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beer Barrel Caraway Rye Bread
Serving Size: 1 (994 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2285.5
- Calories from Fat 223
- Total Fat 24.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 211.5 mg
- Sodium 5916.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 428.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 28.4 g
- Sugars 47.2 g
- Protein 61.6 g