Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Beer Baron is a brand of polish-style sausage that has a unique smoked flavor. Once you've tried them, you're hooked for life (read testimonials at beerbaron.com). Although kielbasa works, the Beer Barons elevate this recipe to an entirely different level. Here is one of my favorite ways of preparing them. I served these with a horseradish mustard at a BBQ cookoff, and took first place.
- 1 lb kielbasa, please try beer barons
- 10 ounces sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
- 12 ounces tomato juice
- 2 cups cabbage, grated
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- Layer bottom of a crockpot with the kraut.
- Top with cabbage and garlic.
- Gently mix.
- Cut sausage into 4 inch pieces. If using beer barons, cut in half.
- Pour tomato juice over all and do not mix.
- Turn crockpot to low and cook for 3 to 5 hours. DO NOT MIX.
- Add additional tomato juice as needed to keep moist or the kraut will burn.
- Serve sausage on hard rolls or buns covered with the kraut mixture and your favorite condiments.
- Can also be prepared on a grill cooked over low indirect heat in a covered disposable aluminum pan.