Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Plan ahead the ham needs to soak in the ginger-ale for at least 4 hours before cooking. Make certain to bake the ham 20 minutes per pound, all ingredients are for a 5 pound bone-in ham, if you are using a much larger ham then double the marinade ingredients.
- 1 (5 lb) ham, with bone-in
- 3 cups ginger ale, soda (do not use sugar-free or low-calorie, I just use 3 cans of ginger-ale)
- 12 whole cloves (or as needed)
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 -2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1 cup beer (any kind desired)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 325 degrees.
- Using a sharp knife remove the tough top layer of skin from the ham.
- Score the fat diagonally in a diamond shape pattern.
- Soak the ham in the refrigerator in the ginger-ale for at least 4 hours to remove the salt, turning the ham occasionally if needed.
- After the 4 hours discard the ginger-ale.
- Stud the top of the ham with whole cloves.
- Place a large piece of heavy-duty foil in the bottom of the roasting pan (large enough to wrap the ham tightly in).
- Place the ham on top of the foil in roasting pan.
- In a bowl mix together molasses, dry mustard, pepper and beer; pour over the ham.
- Cover very tighty with the foil so the juices do not escape.
- Bake the ham for 20 minutes a pound.
- Remove the ham to a cutting board place a piece of foil over and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.