Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I saw Sandra Lee make this on the Food Network. It looks like total comfort food, and because it's "semi-homemade" it's simple, too!
- 4 slices bacon (I plan to use turkey bacon)
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 2 (28 ounce) cans baked beans (I plan to use vegetarian)
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup spicy brown mustard (or less to taste)
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle lager beer
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice each slice of bacon into 4 pieces. Cook in a large pot over medium heat, until fat is rendered, but bacon is not yet crispy.
- In pan with bacon fat, cook chopped onion until soft, about 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, stir to combine. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Carefully transfer with a ladle to a 2-quart casserole dish. Place on foil-lined baking sheet and bake 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until beans are desired thickness.
This was so quick and easy to do I liked it. I just did half the recipe and still have "planed overs". Served this over rice and it made a great dinner. Thanks Kree
this was a good way to doctor up canned baked beans. i liked it, but my family didn't like the mustard, they actually could taste it. next time i'd use less, and maybe add a drop of brown sugar. nice summer side dish.