*sugar n' spice*'s Note:
My favourite way to eat mussels - I used to think they'd be so difficult to prepare, but this is amazingly fast, easy, and I usually have all the ingredients (and it's all in one pot)! It could serve more than 2 if it was an appetizer, but it works perfect for a supper for 2.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1prepare mussels (wash, discard opened/broken, debeard, etc).
- 2chop bacon into large cubes.
- 3cook bacon in large stock pot until, stirring occasionally.
- 4drain bacon fat and remove bacon, placing in a bowl to use later (i like to blot the oil with paper towel as well).
- 5put onion and butter in stock pot and saute onion for a few minutes.
- 6pour in beer, add bacon.
- 7dump in mussels.
- 8put a lid on the pot and let the mussels steam, I like to toss them every couple minutes with the lid on to keep in the steam.
- 9mussells are done when they are open - approx 5 to 7 mins (don't eat the closed ones!) add the whipping cream and slowly add the cheese and stir to evenly distribute.
- 10dish out into bowls, and pour broth overtop (soak it up with french bread or serve the mussels over pasta).
Browse Our Top Mussels Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beer & Bacon Mussels
Serving Size: 1 (725 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1346.2
- Calories from Fat 911
- Total Fat 101.2 g
- Saturated Fat 47.0 g
- Cholesterol 357.9 mg
- Sodium 2347.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 74.0 g