Recipe by wife2abadge
From the cookbook The Gourmet's Guide to Cooking With Beer by Alison Boteler. I left the bacon out when I made it, but I definitely think it would have added something extra. I used reduced fat cheddar cheese and it was delish.
Top Review by NIcmic
This was an excellent bread! I made it without bacon also, but would be good with it too. I had a cup of dark beer leftover from another recipe that I wanted to use up (don't like dark beer to drink :)) and this was perfect. Would be great to have with chili or soup etc... Its going to a church potluck tonight! Thanks for posting it.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup beer
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup bacon, cooked, crisp, and crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease a 9x5-in loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, blend together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat together eggs, olive oil, cheese, and bacon. Slowly blend wet ingredients into dry ingredients, mixing just until blended. Batter should be lumpy; do not overmix.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 45 min-1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes and then invert over rack and remove from pan.