Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Beer and Cheese soup is great before a fire, or for a tailgate party (SUPERBOWL!!) Definitely a man's meal, slice and add knockwurst and serve with bagels.
- 1 cup minced carrot
- 1 cup minced celery
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce or 1 chopped Thai peppers
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 12 ounces beer
- Saute the vegetables in the oil.
- When onions are translucent, pour in the chicken broth.
- Simmer 45 minutes.
- Toss the flour and mustard with the cheese, and drop into broth.
- Stir constantly, simmering until mixture thickens slightly.
- Add the beer, and continue to stir.
- Let thicken more.
- Add seasonings; serve.
- You can add sliced knockwurst during the last 1/2 hour if you're inclined.
- Great with bagels.
This is very similar to a recipe I found in a Frugal Gourmet cookbook (this recipe includes garlic and twice as much cheese, both good additions). Tasting as I went, I added only half as much beer as I used a very full bodied beer. I did add some knockwurst, which I think was excellent in the soup.
Very good, I added bacon bits to this recipe instead of knockwurst. umm, it was good. I cut back on the butter too. I like how it called for lots of onion though. Very tasty.