Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A soup lover’s delight, hearty yet subtly flavored; serve with toasted French bread.
- 591.47 ml beer (about 20 oz.)
- 36.97 ml instant chicken bouillon granules
- 236.59 ml shredded carrot
- 236.59 ml thinly sliced celery
- 158.51 ml thinly sliced onion
- 78.07 ml all-purpose flour
- 709.77 ml milk
- 946.36 ml shredded sharp cheddar cheese (1 lb.)
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml ground black pepper
- In a 3 quart saucepan, combine beer and bouillon powder or granules.
- Cook over medium heat stirring frequently, until dissolved.
- Add carrot and celery.
- Separate onion into rings; add to beer mixture.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes Place flour in small bowl.
- Gradually stir or whisk in 1 1/2 cups milk until smooth.
- Gradually stir into soup until blended.
- Stir remaining 1 1/2 cups milk into soup.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Add cheese a little at a time, stirring after each addition, until cheese melts.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Cook 1 minute; do not boil.
- Serve immediately.
- Herbs, Spices & Flavorings.
My DH really enjoyed this soup and I have made it for him twice last week! I had a very sharp cheddar so did not add the salt as the cheese was salty enough. I suppose you could change the taste by using different beers. Made this for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup Game ( Jul-Dec 09)