Prep 12 mins
Cook 15 mins
I made this in place of your standard rotel dip - a "fancy" rotel, if you will - the other weekend for a football party and IT WAS GREAT. I used high quality white cheddar and it was just fantastic - served with chips. A great way to have cheese dip that is actually made from cheese (and NOT a "food product.")
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork sausage
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 16 ounces blocks cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup beer, amber
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Cook sausage in large saucepan over medium heat, stirring until crumbled. Drain and remove.
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat; add onion and garlic, saute' until tender.
- Add flour, stir until smooth, cook 1 minute, stir constantly. Gradually add milk, stirring until thickened. Add cheese, stir until melted.
- Remove from heat; stir in sausage, beer, chilies, salt, and pepper, and serve. You can put in slow cooker if you would like.