Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a recipe I used over the summer during a cookout. The smell this put throughout the house prior to putting the brats on the grill was insane. Everyone loved these and wanted to know how they were made. I suggest you use a dark beer that you actually like to drink because these are flavored by the beer.I have posted the Red Cabbage Sourkraut seperately. I hope you enjoy!
- 12 bratwursts
- 6 (12 ounce) bottles dark beer
- 1 onion, cut into quarters
- 2 tablespoons ginger, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons coriander
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- Poke each brat several times with a fork.
- Add all ingredients to a large pot, with brats being last.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer over medium. When the brats are floating on the top, they are ready to grill. This should take a half hour or so but I like to let mine simmer a little longer.
- Grill until desired browning.
- Serve with or without the red cabbage sourkraut I posted separately.
Delicious, and safer, too! It makes sense to cook the brats through before grilling for the sear marks; you know they have been cooked thoroughly. I splurged on German brats as long as I was going to use a good dark brown ale. The brats tasted mellow (not medicinal as when just boiled in water). Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup tag game.