Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
We like this with mashed potatoes, pasta or rice and vegetables. I usually do not thicken the sauce, but that is a personal preference. I have made this with different types of beer, light, strong and sweet depending what was on hand. It freezes well.
- Add the beer to the crock pot, turn the control to high.
- Cut the beef into cubes, coat with the flour and brown in half of the butter, you might have to do this in batches.
- Transfer the browned beef to the crock pot.
- Using the rest of the butter brown the onions, add garlic, tomato puree and cayenne if using.
- Add to the crock pot together with the bay leaves and salt and pepper.
- Now turn the crock pot to low and cook for 6 to 8 hours, until the beef is tender.
- If you want to thicken the sauce add about 2 tablespoons of flour made into a paste, about 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time, stir that in, you will have to turn the crock pot on high for this.
Great recipe, this was so nice to come home to on a really cold day. Beer gives it a great flavor and I loved how simple it was to put together. I added sauteed mushrooms at the end and served with sour cream for garnish. Yummy!!! Thanks for sharing this.
Yummy unique stew. I actually converted this to the stovetop and cooked it for about 2 1/2 hours on low heat. Really good flavor. I think that next time I would add some other veggies - carrots & potatoes would be excellent additions. I really enjoyed it with some grated cheddar on top - beer and cheddar are such a lovely combo! Thanks!
I followed this recipe to the letter and I did not like it at all. My boyfriend and kids didn't like it either. It was very bland and what lil flavor it did have was the beer (just regular old budweiser). It was an awkward taste. I can't imagine how I could tweek it to even be "ok". Unfortunately I can say I won't be making this again :(