Recipe by Pets'R'us
We like this with mashed potatoes, pasta or rice and vegetables. I usually do not thicken the sauce, but that is a personal preference. I have made this with different types of beer, light, strong and sweet depending what was on hand. It freezes well.
Top Review by SoChic
Great recipe, this was so nice to come home to on a really cold day. Beer gives it a great flavor and I loved how simple it was to put together. I added sauteed mushrooms at the end and served with sour cream for garnish. Yummy!!! Thanks for sharing this.
- 2 cups beer
- 3 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 1⁄2 cup plain flour
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- cayenne (optional) or crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the beer to the crock pot, turn the control to high.
- Cut the beef into cubes, coat with the flour and brown in half of the butter, you might have to do this in batches.
- Transfer the browned beef to the crock pot.
- Using the rest of the butter brown the onions, add garlic, tomato puree and cayenne if using.
- Add to the crock pot together with the bay leaves and salt and pepper.
- Now turn the crock pot to low and cook for 6 to 8 hours, until the beef is tender.
- If you want to thicken the sauce add about 2 tablespoons of flour made into a paste, about 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time, stir that in, you will have to turn the crock pot on high for this.