3 hrs 25 mins
Recipe courtesy of Basque Boulangerie Cafe posted in response to a request. This cake is wonderful to serve for breakfast, brunch or tea. Freezing time not included in the preparation time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Honey Almond Praline
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin, plus
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1To make the cake: Sift flour and salt together into a large bowl.
- 2Make a well in the center of the flour.
- 3Add yeast and sugar to the well.
- 4Add milk, cooled melted butter, and egg, and let sit for 2 minutes to soften yeast, whisk yeast and liquid ingredients only to dissolve yeast.
- 5Gradually whisk or beat in flour until well is blended.
- 6Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead in enough flour only until dough is no longer sticky.
- 7Continue kneading approximately 5 to 7 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic.
- 8Cover dough with a towel or plastic wrap and let dough rise until doubled.
- 9Punch dough down.
- 10Roll or pat dough into 9 inch, greased pan.
- 11Prick dough all over with a fork.
- 12Spread cooled honey almond praline over dough.
- 13Let cake rest and double in height approximately, 45 to 60 minutes.
- 14While cake is rising, preheat oven to 350°F.
- 15Bake until golden approximately 20 to 25 minutes.
- 16While the cake is rising, make the honey almond praline: Melt the butter, add sugar and honey, cook until bubbly and ingredients are well blended.
- 17Remove from the heat and stir in the almonds.
- 18Let this mixture cool.
- 19To make the custard filling: First, place the sugar and cornstarch in a small to medium pan.
- 20In a bowl, mix the egg yolks and milk together.
- 21Whisk them into the sugar and starch mixture in the pan.
- 22Cook this over low heat and gradually increase to a medium heat bringing the mixture to a slow boil.
- 23Whisk this bubbling mixture for 3 to 4 minutes and remove from heat.
- 24Soak the gelatin in a 1/4 cup of warm water for 5 minutes.
- 25Add gelatin mixture to hot custard and whisk.
- 26Set aside to cool in a clean bowl.
- 27Cover with plastic to prevent mixture from forming skin and refrigerate until cool.
- 28Whisk cooled custard until creamy.
- 29Whip cream, sugar, and vanilla to medium peaks.
- 30Fold whipped cream gradually into cooled, whipped custard.
- 31Refrigerate until ready to fill split cake layers.
- 32To assemble the cake: Cut cooled cake in half to make 2 layers.
- 33Drizzle 1/3 jar caramel over bottom layer.
- 34Top with the custard mixture.
- 35Place the top layer over the custard and refrigerate or freeze for several hours to firm up custard before cutting.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beehive Honey Cake
Serving Size: 1 (370 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1064.8
- Calories from Fat 533
- Total Fat 59.2 g
- Saturated Fat 30.8 g
- Cholesterol 318.4 mg
- Sodium 540.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 120.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 56.6 g
- Protein 17.7 g