Prep 3 hrs
Cook 25 mins
Recipe courtesy of Basque Boulangerie Cafe posted in response to a request. This cake is wonderful to serve for breakfast, brunch or tea. Freezing time not included in the preparation time.
Honey Almond Praline
- 2 ounces butter
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 3⁄4 cup almonds
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin, plus
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package active dry yeast or 1 cake yeast
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup warm milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup commercial caramel topping
- To make the cake: Sift flour and salt together into a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the flour.
- Add yeast and sugar to the well.
- Add milk, cooled melted butter, and egg, and let sit for 2 minutes to soften yeast, whisk yeast and liquid ingredients only to dissolve yeast.
- Gradually whisk or beat in flour until well is blended.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead in enough flour only until dough is no longer sticky.
- Continue kneading approximately 5 to 7 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Cover dough with a towel or plastic wrap and let dough rise until doubled.
- Punch dough down.
- Roll or pat dough into 9 inch, greased pan.
- Prick dough all over with a fork.
- Spread cooled honey almond praline over dough.
- Let cake rest and double in height approximately, 45 to 60 minutes.
- While cake is rising, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake until golden approximately 20 to 25 minutes.
- While the cake is rising, make the honey almond praline: Melt the butter, add sugar and honey, cook until bubbly and ingredients are well blended.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the almonds.
- Let this mixture cool.
- To make the custard filling: First, place the sugar and cornstarch in a small to medium pan.
- In a bowl, mix the egg yolks and milk together.
- Whisk them into the sugar and starch mixture in the pan.
- Cook this over low heat and gradually increase to a medium heat bringing the mixture to a slow boil.
- Whisk this bubbling mixture for 3 to 4 minutes and remove from heat.
- Soak the gelatin in a 1/4 cup of warm water for 5 minutes.
- Add gelatin mixture to hot custard and whisk.
- Set aside to cool in a clean bowl.
- Cover with plastic to prevent mixture from forming skin and refrigerate until cool.
- Whisk cooled custard until creamy.
- Whip cream, sugar, and vanilla to medium peaks.
- Fold whipped cream gradually into cooled, whipped custard.
- Refrigerate until ready to fill split cake layers.
- To assemble the cake: Cut cooled cake in half to make 2 layers.
- Drizzle 1/3 jar caramel over bottom layer.
- Top with the custard mixture.
- Place the top layer over the custard and refrigerate or freeze for several hours to firm up custard before cutting.