Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is such an easy and cheap meal to make. We love casseroles in the winter and this one is a favorite. NOTE: I have changed this recipe as it was brought to my attention that I missed a step, to cover with foil.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
- 1 lb carrot, pared and sliced
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tapioca
- Brown beef and remove from pan.
- Brown onions in beef drippings and drain.
- Put all ingredients into medium casserole.
- Cover casserole with foil.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour.
- After 30 minutes remove foil and bake uncovered.
I chose this recipe because my mom made something similar when we were kids so it was a trip down memory lane. We enjoyed the flavour of the dish but I had trouble getting the potatoes to soften up. I sliced the potatoes about 1/8" thick (as you would do for scalloped potatoes) but even after adding another half hour to the cooking time the potatoes were still a bit hard. I added some garlic powder to the meat and I greased the pan lightly, which I highly recommend. I will make this again but will change the temperature to 375F for an hour and see if that helps soften the potatoes up. This is a budget friendly, comfort dish that warms the belly! Thx for sharing your recipe.