Recipe by SmilinJenE
What an intriguing and tasty side dish. Anything "stuffed" seems to impress guests.
Top Review by JAMmc
I used half ground beef and half Italian sausage after my daughter e-mailed the recipe saying it was great. Even my husband loved it. It may have been the home grown tomatoes, but this was just an inexpensive, spectacular dish. I served it as a main dish with a salad and bread and will try it for a casual get-together next weekend. Really a good dish.
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup cooked rice
- 1⁄2 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut a thin clice off the top of each tomato and discard; remove core.
- Carefully scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/2 inch shell.
- Reserve 1 c. pulp (discard remaining pulp or save for another use).
- In a nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the basil, salt, pepper, and reserved tomato pulp; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 10-12 minutes or unti the liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in the rice, cheese, and egg; heat through.
- Spoon into tomato shells.
- Place in a shallow 2 qt. baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.