- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or adjust to taste)
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups water or 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, cook beef with onion, green pepper and chili flakes until meat is browned; drain fat, then add in garlic, thyme, basil and chili powder, continue to cook until meat is browned (about 8 minutes).
- Stir in the next 6 ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed, and rice is tender.