Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Quick and easy south-of-the-border meal.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, undrained
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 cup instant brown rice
- 3⁄4 cup hot water
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- In medium-sized skillet, cook beef, onion and peppers until beef is brown and vegetables are tender; drain if necessary. Stir in tomatoes, beans, chili powder, salt, cumin, rice and water.
- Cover and simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Top with cheese; cover and heat until cheese melts, about 3 minutes. Before serving, top individual servings with salsa and sour cream.
This was easy and delicious! My family devoured it. We served it with green chilie and cheese quesadillas.