Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A fabulous comfort food that is practically perfect during those long cold days of winter!Serve with a tossed salad for a nice meal!
- 3 1⁄2 lbs stew meat, cubed beef (lamb is nice, too)
- all-purpose flour, for dredging
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (10 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup (can substitute 98% fat free)
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 lb fresh carrot, chunked
- 1 (16 ounce) package white pearl onions, frozen
- cooked egg noodles (whole wheat pasta or brown rice are nice too!) or cooked rice (whole wheat pasta or brown rice are nice too!)
- Dredge the stew meat in the flour and then brown in the oil in a dutch oven; drain.
- In a bowl, combine the soup, sour cream, water, paprika and pepper.
- Pour over the stew meat in the dutch oven; cover and simmer on low 1 hour, stirring often.
- Add carrots and onions; cover and simmer on low one more hour or until the vegetables are tender, stirring often.