Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A meal in itself.
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1⁄2 green pepper, seeded and cubed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs goulash meat, cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
- salt and pepper
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 7 cups water
- 2 potatoes, cubed
- 2 carrots, thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Saute onion, celery, and green pepper in oil until soft.
- Add goulash meat and sear on all sides (brown meat on all sides).
- Cover and cook over low hear for about 30 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except for flour.
- Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Dissolve flour in 1/4 cup of cold water, and stir into simmering mixture.
- Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Variation: Tofu stew soup: In place of 1 onion, saute 3 large diced onions in 3-4 tablespoons of oil. In place of goulash meat, add 1 pound of cubed tofu.