Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Spanish rice with beef is one of my favorites and this one meets with my approval. Serve with a green salad and you have a complete meal.
- 1 lb ground beef, browned & drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups white rice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet saute rice for 5 minutes or until golden; stirring constantly.
- Add ground beef, peppers, onion and garlic.
- Cook and stir 2-4 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add tomatoes w/juice, water, chili powder, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Cover and simmer 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Sprinkle with cheese and serve.
Didn't add all of the black pepper or salt, or any of the butter. Instead i sauteed the veggies in a little of the hamburger grease. And i added a bit more rice, beef bouillon and an extra can of tomatoes (the kind with diced chili peppers). It was spicy, but a big hit!