Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Credit for this dish goes to Ruth Ann Klassen of Aberdeen, Idaho who says this recipe came from her husband's grandmother. It's quick to make and very tasty. Hearty helpings of this specially seasoned rice will disappear in a hurry at your dinner table. Note: Cooking time does not include time to cook rice. An option is to use instant brown rice to reduce prep time.
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in tomatoes, seasonings and rice.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- **Idea: Using instant brown rice in this recipe cuts down on the cooking time. Try substituting cheddar cheese with a more mild Monterey Jack Cheese.
Wish I could leave more than a five star rating for this. It is great and we enjoyed it a lot! I used regular brown rice that I cooked until the water was almost absorbed. Didnt cook until tender because I was worried about mushy rice after baking for almost an hour. Used celery seed instead of celery salt and garlic powder instead of garlic salt. Put my cast iron pot in the oven with the lid on and baked for 50 minutes. The rice was perfect and it smell so good. Topped with cheddar cheese and put it back in. This will be made again many times! Thank you DuChick for sharing this recipe with us. Made and reviewed for the Photo Tag Game.