Recipe by LMillerRN
Prep: 20 min., Cook: 6 hrs. This makes enough sauce for several meals, so serve some today and freeze the rest. You can also cook this on top of the stove over very low heat, stirring often, for several hours or until the meat is tender. From Southern Living.
- 1 (3 -3 1/2 lb) boneless chuck roast, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- hot cooked spaghetti (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle roast evenly with 1 teaspoons salt.
- Cook roast in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 3 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Combine minced garlic, remaining 1 teaspoons salt, and next 8 ingredients in a 6-qt. slow cooker; gently add roast.
- Cook, covered, on HIGH 6 hours or until roast is very tender.
- Remove roast from slow cooker, and shred using 2 forks.
- Skim off any fat from tomato sauce, if desired, and return shredded meat to sauce. Serve over hot cooked spaghetti, if desired.
- Note: Freeze spaghetti sauce in airtight containers for up to 6 weeks, if desired.