We're great fans of versitle, inexpensive, hearty, homemade pilafs here. They beat the box-mix stuff hands-down for flavor and are almost as easy to make. A rich side dish like this is just the thing to accompany a simple steak or burger and make the meal special.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a heavy-bottomed pot heat the olive oil and butter on medium to medium-high heat.
- 2Add the rice, onions, carrots, and seasonings. Keep stirring as the rice loses the translucency that it got from the oil and goes white again. Be VERY careful not to burn it because scorched grain reeks and tastes horrible.
- 3Once most of the rice is white add the lentils and the beef stock.
- 4Bring to a boil then simmer about 20 minutes, stirring several times, or until all liquid is absorbed and the lentils are tender.
- 5Let sit covered for another 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beefy Rice Pilaf With Lentils
Serving Size: 1 (129 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 186.3
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 3.8 mg
- Sodium 356.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 4.7 g