Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
We're great fans of versitle, inexpensive, hearty, homemade pilafs here. They beat the box-mix stuff hands-down for flavor and are almost as easy to make. A rich side dish like this is just the thing to accompany a simple steak or burger and make the meal special.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot heat the olive oil and butter on medium to medium-high heat.
- Add the rice, onions, carrots, and seasonings. Keep stirring as the rice loses the translucency that it got from the oil and goes white again. Be VERY careful not to burn it because scorched grain reeks and tastes horrible.
- Once most of the rice is white add the lentils and the beef stock.
- Bring to a boil then simmer about 20 minutes, stirring several times, or until all liquid is absorbed and the lentils are tender.
- Let sit covered for another 5 minutes before serving.