Recipe by Lizzybob
I love anything with flour tortillas! This is by far my favorite mexican casserole. It's quick, easy & makes great leftovers for lunch! This was a Durkee onion ring recipe, but I changed it around quite a bit.
Top Review by Roxygirl in Colorado
I love anything with tortillas, too, and this is my favorite Mexican casserole now! I had started making this from a source on-line (maybe the original recipe), which used canned tomatoes instead of salsa and mixing it into the meat. I read yours while I was preparing and added pinto beans to my hamb., 16 oz chopped tomatoes, and seasoning. The beans are really good in this. I used the extra large tortillas, so I only needed 2 per layer. The French fried onions added a lot to the flavor, too. The whole family enjoyed. Thanks Lizzybob- Roxygirl
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 can pinto beans with jalapeno peppers
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 can French fried onion rings
- 1 (12 ounce) carton cottage cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- 6 -8 flour tortillas
- 1 jar Pace Picante Sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet-brown meat& drain.
- Add beans& burrito seasoning to meat.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 can Durkee onion rings.
- In a large bowl-add cottage cheese, eggs and 1 cup cheese.
- Place about 3 flour tortillas in the bottom of a GREASED 9x13 dish.
- Overlap more tortillas up the sides.
- Spoon meat mixture over tortillas-add the jar of picante sauce.
- Top with another layer of tortillas.
- Top with the cottage cheese mixture.
- Cover with foil& bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese& remainder of onion rings.
- Bake 5 more minutes uncovered.