Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Adapted from CHOW. Delicious and slightly uppity ;)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and cut into medium dice
- 1 medium yellow onion, medium dice
- 3 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 24 ounces of your favorite marinara sauce or 24 ounces spaghetti sauce
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb egg noodles
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese or 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil over high heat. Heat the oven to 400°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter over medium heat in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Add the bell peppers, onion, garlic, measured salt, oregano, paprika, and measured pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened but not browned, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add the ground beef, season with salt and pepper, and cook, breaking the meat into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon, until it’s just cooked through and no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, add the pasta to the boiling pot of water and cook until still chewy and underdone, usually 1 or 2 minutes less than the package directions suggest (the pasta will finish cooking in the oven). Drain and rinse with cold water until no longer steaming; set aside.
- Add the marinara sauce, stir to combine, and bring to a simmer and remove from heat.
- Pour half the pasta into the bottom of a 5 quart baking dish. Add 3 cups of the sauce to the pasta and stir.
- Sprinkle half the cheese over the top.
- Dump the rest of the pasta in the dish and carefully pour the rest of the sauce over the top, evenly.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top and place uncovered in the oven.
- Bake 25 minutes or until lightly browned on top.