Recipe by Sharlene~W
One of the best quick family-style mac and cheese casseroles I have run across.
Top Review by Caryn
This was a simple easy casserole dish to make. I adjusted the amount of thyme and oregano to about 3/4 of a teaspoon to suit our taste. The flavor was very good and the consistency very nice due to the milk/flour/cheese mixture. I was a little nervous when I added this mixture thinking it might turn out more like macaroni and cheese but it blends in very well (and my husband doesn't like cream sauces). The only thing I might do different next time would be to use 3 Tablespoons of flour to thicken it up a bit but it was very good just as prepared. The ingredients are not complicated, and are ones that I almost always have in my kitchen so this casserole is one that I could easily throw together.
- 1 1⁄2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni in large pot of boiling salted water until done; drain.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large frying pan and sauté onion until softened.
- Add ground beef and cook until browned.
- Add tomatoes, thyme, oregano and salt to taste.
- Cook about 5 minutes to blend flavors.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together flour and milk.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring, until mixture comes to a boil.
- Continue cooking 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in 3/4 cup cheese.
- Stir until cheese is melted.
- Stir into meat sauce.
- Combine with macaroni.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- Bake at 375° until golden, about 20 minutes.