Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
One of the best quick family-style mac and cheese casseroles I have run across.
Make and share this Beefy Macaroni and Cheese Bake recipe from Food.com.
- Cook macaroni in large pot of boiling salted water until done; drain.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large frying pan and sauté onion until softened.
- Add ground beef and cook until browned.
- Add tomatoes, thyme, oregano and salt to taste.
- Cook about 5 minutes to blend flavors.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together flour and milk.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring, until mixture comes to a boil.
- Continue cooking 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in 3/4 cup cheese.
- Stir until cheese is melted.
- Stir into meat sauce.
- Combine with macaroni.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- Bake at 375° until golden, about 20 minutes.
This was a simple easy casserole dish to make. I adjusted the amount of thyme and oregano to about 3/4 of a teaspoon to suit our taste. The flavor was very good and the consistency very nice due to the milk/flour/cheese mixture. I was a little nervous when I added this mixture thinking it might turn out more like macaroni and cheese but it blends in very well (and my husband doesn't like cream sauces). The only thing I might do different next time would be to use 3 Tablespoons of flour to thicken it up a bit but it was very good just as prepared. The ingredients are not complicated, and are ones that I almost always have in my kitchen so this casserole is one that I could easily throw together.
I liked this because it was fast to prepare, good and filling. The only change I made to this recipe was to use a can of Italian flavored diced tomatoes (without draining it)because that's what I had on hand. Thank you for sharing this recipe!
Sorry, but this was not for us. Very bland and the flour and milk mixture made the dish taste pastey.