Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Yum! You can't go wrong with this recipe. Country style mac and cheese loaded with ground beef and tomatoes! Very similar to chili mac. Taste the meat mixture, you might need to add more of the dried spices. Enjoy!
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 serrano peppers (optional) or 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, minced (optional)
- 28 ounces Mexican-style tomatoes
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- salt and pepper, to taste...I use a lot
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef with onions, garlic and peppers until meat is cooked and veggies are soft. Drain.
- Add tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste, cumin, chili powder, oregano and basil.
- Gently add cooked macaroni and 2 cups of cheese into the beef mixture.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-inch casserole dish. Top with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350°F until bubbly.
I loved this. I added a few sliced black olives, and used less cheese. Very good comfort food. Wagon wheel shaped pasta works great, too and really holds the beef in all its crooks and crannies.
Wow KPD, this is great. I added Nacho Cheese Sauce, Pepper Jack Cheese and Salsa to the mix. I served my dad his dinner and by the time I got to the table with mine his was almost gone. He usually eats real slow but not this time.