Recipe by Gingernut
I found this on another website and it has become a family favourite. It's easy, healthy, and freezes really well. What more could you ask for? The original recipe calls for a small tin of sliced mushrooms, but I find a lot of people don't like mushies, so I leave them out.
- 500 g beef mince
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry green lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 3 cups water
- ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons beef stock powder
- 1 1⁄2 liters vegetable juice cocktail (such as V8)
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown beef, breaking up as finely as possible.
- Drain fat off beef.
- Place beef and all other ingredients into a big pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cover.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until lentils are tender.
- Serve with crusty bread and a dollop of plain yoghurt (or not!).