Recipe by ElaineAnn
Fiber-rich and healthy soup to warm you up. This can also be cooked in a crock pot.
Top Review by mama smurf
Made this yesterday and it was delicious! I cut the recipe in half for the two of us and added some roasted garlic and like Annacia I added some Italian seasoning. Yummo! I definately will make this again. It is so comforting and warming on a cool day. Thank you for a delicious recipe. Made for Zaar Alphabet Soup tag game.
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup cabbage, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (46 ounce) can tomato juice
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground chuck in a 6-quart kettle at medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Cook on high heat until mixture comes to a boil for ten minutes. Reduce heat to low and simmer about 90 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Crock pot: Use ingredients listed, but reduce beef broth and water to 1 cup of each. Put in crock pot and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or until lentils are tender.