Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Fiber-rich and healthy soup to warm you up. This can also be cooked in a crock pot.
Make and share this Beefy Lentil Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup cabbage, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (46 ounce) can tomato juice
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- Brown ground chuck in a 6-quart kettle at medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Cook on high heat until mixture comes to a boil for ten minutes. Reduce heat to low and simmer about 90 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Crock pot: Use ingredients listed, but reduce beef broth and water to 1 cup of each. Put in crock pot and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or until lentils are tender.
Made this yesterday and it was delicious! I cut the recipe in half for the two of us and added some roasted garlic and like Annacia I added some Italian seasoning. Yummo! I definately will make this again. It is so comforting and warming on a cool day. Thank you for a delicious recipe. Made for Zaar Alphabet Soup tag game.
It's a keeper. I just knew that this was going to be very good so I made the full recipe for just two people and have 3 bags in the freezer :D. I added some pureed roast garlic, Italian seasoning and half of a green bell pepper that was in the fridge. I used veggie crumbles for the ground beef and it worked perfectly. Made for *Partying The Diabetic Way*
Very good soup. If you have leftover beef, you can use that instead the ground beef. I agree that a little garlic couldn't hurt. :)