1/2 Photos of Beefy French Onion Soup
10 hrs 30 mins
Gail Blue Eyes's Note:
Got this one from a Betty Crocker cookbook. Changed it up just slightly for my family's taste. Very hearty and good when it is bitter cold outside.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 7 small onions, cut in half and thinly sliced (about 7 cups)
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 lbs beef stew meat
- 3 cans condensed beef consomme
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 slices French bread, toasted (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese
- 1Add onions and butter to a 5 to 6 quart crock-pot; toss to coat.
- 2Top with bay leaves and beef.
- 3Cover and cook on LOW for 9-10 hours or until the onions are deep brown in color.
- 4Mix together the beef consomme, sherry, apple juice, and thyme in a bowl.
- 5Pour into crock-pot; increase setting to HIGH.
- 6Cover and cook 10 minutes or until hot.
- 7Take out bay leaves.
- 8Spoon soup into oven-proof soup bowls.
- 9Top each with a slice of toast and 1/4 cup shredded cheese.
- 10If you want, broil 6 inches from heat source for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and begins to brown.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beefy French Onion Soup
Serving Size: 1 (396 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 695.0
- Calories from Fat 295
- Total Fat 32.8 g
- Saturated Fat 14.8 g
- Cholesterol 117.1 mg
- Sodium 1092.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 10.0 g
- Protein 41.0 g