Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
You can fiddle with a bit using ground chicken and chicken broth, or even ground tofu and vegetable broth for a vegetarian dinner.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large eggplant, chopped
- 1 red sweet bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 cups beef stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups small shell pasta
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- In a dutch over over medium high heat cook the ground beef, breaking it up as it cooks.
- Drain off fat.
- Add the onions, carrots, garlic, eggplant, red pepper, paprika, caraway, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Cook for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the stock, tomatoes, tomato puree and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to a simmer, cooking for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the pasta and cook for another 15 minutes.
- To serve ladle into bowls and offer yogurt and parsley at the table.