Recipe by MacChef
This is a one dish meal created when eggplants where abundant in the garden and the other ingredients were in the fridge waiting for me to do something with them.
- 1 lb lean ground beef, 4% fat
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and diced
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning, divided
- 1 (32 ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 2 cups 2% mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef with salt and pepper and half tsp italian seasoning. Add onion, celery and garlic and cook til soft.
- Stir in rice.*If rice was leftover and a little dry, add a little water or beef broth to refresh. Pour into bowl and set aside.
- Spray pan with cooking spray and add eggplant with a little salt and pepper and remaining italian seasoning. Cook until softened and slightly browned. Add marinara sauce and cook additional 3-5 minutes. Pour over meat and rice mixture and combine.
- Pour casserole into a 9x13 baking pan and top with cheese.
- Bake at 350 until warmed through and cheese is melted and bubbly about 20 minutes.