Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe came straight from TOH Magazine. Great cold weather casserole. Just throw together a salad and you have a complete meal.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 -3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package cornbread mix
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups shredded cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and peppers over medium heat until meat is no longer pink.
- In separate bowl, mix corn bread mix, salt, baking soda, corn, milk, oil and eggs.
- Pour 1/2 of the cornbread mix into a greased 13x9 casserole dish.
- Layer 1/2 of the cheese next.
- Layer all of the beef mix next.
- Top with the remaining cornbread batter.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes, place remaining cheese on top, then cook 10-20 minutes, depending on oven, or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
Oh man i am eating this as I type and it is phenomenal! My mother always made things when I was a kid and would never recreate it because she did not remember what she did. We never had the same taste twice, I never could understand it. All that said she made something like this once and I have always wanted it again and now after like 15 years I have fulfilled my craving. Thaank you! lol I did not use peppers, and i used a 7 oz pkg of texas honey sweet cornbread. mmmmmmm mmm!!! Thank you for this I will make this for the rest of my life!
I have to admit I cut back on the peppers to one because I was afraid the dish would be too hot. Next time I fix this I will use two peppers. The use of one pepper was like not having one in there at all. This was too good to be soooo simple and quick. I think I loved the sweet flavor most. I'll keep this one in the "one hour or less" cookbook for an easy after work meal. Thanks for sharing!