A real kid pleaser, but adults love this very tasty harvest casserole too. adapted from Canadian Living (1999)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 sweet green pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1 cup old cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1Slice 1 of the tomatoes; chop remaining tomatoes; set aside.
- 2In a large frypan over medium high heat, cook beef, stirring, for about 5 minutes or until no longer pink.
- 3With slotted spoon, drain off fat.
- 4Transfer beef to paper towel lined bowl.
- 5In same frypan over medium heat, combine green pepper, jalapeno pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin and oregano.
- 6Reserving pinch of salt, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 7Cook, stirring for about 5 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- 8Stir in tomato paste and chopped tomatoes; simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- 9Stir in beef and half of the coriander.
- 10In a large saucepan, bring 4 cups water to boil; gradually whisk in cornmeal and reserved salt.
- 11Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until creamy and thickened.
- 12Remove from heat; stir in corn and sour cream.
- 13Working quickly, press two thirds of the mixture into bottom of greased 11x7-inch baking dish.
- 14Spread beef mixture over top.
- 15Sprinkle with half of the cheese and top with remaining cornmeal mixture.
- 16Arrange sliced tomatoes and remaining cheese on top.
- 17Place on baking sheet and bake in 375°F oven for about 45 minutes or until top is golden and filling is bubbly.
- 18Sprinkle with remaining coriander.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beefy Corn Tomato Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (365 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 403.8
- Calories from Fat 166
- Total Fat 18.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 78.9 mg
- Sodium 501.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 26.2 g