Recipe by Derf
A real kid pleaser, but adults love this very tasty harvest casserole too. adapted from Canadian Living (1999)
Top Review by ColCadsMom
TOTAL comfort food! I did omit the jalapeno pepper, since I didn't have any and my kids don't care for them. I added a touch of sugar to the sauce and to the cornmeal mixture. This reminded me of chili without beans layered between a creamy corn layer and a corn muffin top. This was the first time I've cooked cornmeal in water, but it was very easy. I did forget to save a few tomatoes for the top, but it was still pretty and delicious. Thanks for posting!
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 sweet green pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1⁄2 cup light sour cream
- 1 cup old cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice 1 of the tomatoes; chop remaining tomatoes; set aside.
- In a large frypan over medium high heat, cook beef, stirring, for about 5 minutes or until no longer pink.
- With slotted spoon, drain off fat.
- Transfer beef to paper towel lined bowl.
- In same frypan over medium heat, combine green pepper, jalapeno pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin and oregano.
- Reserving pinch of salt, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring for about 5 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- Stir in tomato paste and chopped tomatoes; simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in beef and half of the coriander.
- In a large saucepan, bring 4 cups water to boil; gradually whisk in cornmeal and reserved salt.
- Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until creamy and thickened.
- Remove from heat; stir in corn and sour cream.
- Working quickly, press two thirds of the mixture into bottom of greased 11x7-inch baking dish.
- Spread beef mixture over top.
- Sprinkle with half of the cheese and top with remaining cornmeal mixture.
- Arrange sliced tomatoes and remaining cheese on top.
- Place on baking sheet and bake in 375°F oven for about 45 minutes or until top is golden and filling is bubbly.
- Sprinkle with remaining coriander.